Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jesus Ponders NYC

I read this on the way home from New York City, where I was at a Christmas Party for work. I thought it was an interesting thing to read while leaving the snake pit, especially considering that our hotel was within walking distance of Times Square.

"Jesus grew bitter. He turned toward the city. The stores, workshops and taverns had opened; the streets had filled with people. How they ran and shouted, how the sweat poured from their bodies! He heard a fearful bellowing from horses, men, horns and trumpets: the holy city seemed to him a frightful beast, sick, its entrails filled with leprosy, madness and death.

The bellowing in the streets continued to increase, the men to run here and there. What is their hurry? Jesus asked himself. Why are they running, where are they going? He sighed. All, all-to hell!"

Whether he existed at all, I don't know. Regardless, he has been made real in the collective consciousness through stories of his life. I don't consider myself to be in the same situation to make judgement on people as the character we call "Jesus." I did, however, think this was timely.

No comments: