Monday, February 9, 2009

Letter to Arrowhead Mills re: Deaf Smith Peanut Butter

Hi,

My name is Cameron Allen and I live in Austin, Texas. Recently, I was parousing the internet for information about a distant family member of mine who occupies my mind from time to time. He is, as of yet, the only member of my family to garner a wikipedia page, although I believe my grandmother, Lois K. Hull deserves one for her role in the outdoor drama, TEXAS-Musical Drama in Palo Duro Canyon. Incidentally, my older brother, Sterling Allen, will soon be a well known artist and deservedly so. I am a teacher, which garners no positive attention these days outside small gusts of hot air come election time.

The family member who I speak of is, of course, Erastus 'Deaf' Smith, heroic scout of the Texas Revolution. His lineage is both distant and strong, and I've found pride in his having married a woman of Mexican heritage, giving me something I've always wanted - a little color in a sea of white. For this and for his valor, I am proud.

In jumping from website to website, I came across some mention of a product that your company produced. It was, as you might have guessed, the Deaf Smith Peanut Butter. This caught my attention as you can imagine, as I thought back on my Arrowhead Mills purchases to try and recall having seen the product. One would assume it would have made an impression.

As I continued searching the internet for information about this mysterious nut butter, I found two clues. First, it seems as if my 1983 birth year explains my never having heard of the product, indeed missed the entire era of DSPB. Second, it seems that the product itself has an army akin to that of the Battle of the Alamo - possibly undermatched, though passionate, genuine, and loyal to the death (relatively).

I write this to implore you to live out the destiny paved by our Texas forefathers in that fateful battle. Bring DSPB back. The odds, as in said historic battle, are clearly stacked against you, nay, us. However, on our side we've got a faithful and dedicated army...an army made up of me, you, and hundreds, maybe thousands of supporters of Deaf Smith Peanut Butter nationwide; each and every one of them willing to cross that crucial line, the line that once crossed can never be traversed in reverse, the line that says, "I eat only Deaf Smith Peanut Butter, and all other peanut butters can go to hell!"

Sincerely,

Cameron Allen
readtheworld@gmail.com

10 comments:

conscientizacao said...

I received a response to my letter. It wasn't quite what I was hoping for. So it goes.

M. Allen,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Arrowhead Mills Products. We apologize for the delay in our reply and appreciate your patience. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and we appreciate your patronage.

As you are aware, our Arrowhead Mills Deaf Smith Peanut Butter was discontinued years ago. We continually review our variety to determine the contribution each item makes to our overall product mix. Products are discontinued only after careful review and discussion however we have placed a suggestion on your behalf to bring back the Deaf Smith Peanut Butter. We thank you very much for your email and we hope you will choose again from our wide variety of products.

Thank you for your continued support. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-434-4246, Monday through Friday from 7AM - 5PM Mountain Time.

Gabe
Consumer Relations Representative


Ref # 1816397

Anonymous said...

I think your Deaf Smith Peanut Butter would be a good addition to your product line. I heard it was the best peanut butter ever made.

FXPD said...

All agree. DSPB was the best ever sold and everyone who ever ate it seems to agree. I can’t understand Arrowhead’s reluctance to make it again. I’m certain most of its fans would pay a premium price. I know I would. Maybe a petition would get their attention. Life’s too short for second rate peanut butter! Meanwhile, Trader Joe’s makes a decent PB, but it ain’t Deaf Smith. Nothing is.

Village chiropractor said...

Yes please, bring back DSCPB !

Joel said...

Plus One here. Yes, by all means, please bring back DSPB. I gat addicted in the late 1970s and have been in withdrawal ever since it disappeared from the shelves. No other Peanut Butter has come remotely close.

Unknown said...

I concur. It was absolutely the best I have ever had. Even my own homemade peanut butter does not come close.

Linda said...

I would buy!!

Anonymous said...

DSPB!

Anonymous said...

As one of the first few hundred customers of the Whole Foods brand stores, (Austin S Lamar location, 74?) and a lifelong peanut butter aficionado from the 50s), I concur that Deaf Smith PB was the best I have ever eaten. Arrowhead Mills is missing a golden opportunity to garner a huge market share on the peanut butter shelf space.

Anonymous said...

I've heard so so much about this peanut butter, but Why was it so good? Was it the type of peanut they used? Was it because it was stone ground? Did they even stone grind it? I'm want to try and replicate some for home but can't find a dspb label or any info