Sunday, November 30, 2008

Amazing Literacy Quote

I found this quote while reading Nikos Kazantzakis' The Last Temptation of Christ.  Touches on the general misconception of the idea of literacy.

"But what can letters say?  They are the black bars of the prison where the spirit strangles itself with screaming.  Between the letters and the lines, and all around the blank margins, the spirit circulates freely..."
-page 101-102, The Last Temptation of Christ

So, as I'm writing this, I decide to share with my Teachers for Social Justice group.  As I'm doing so, I add a short description describing the quotes relevance to said group.  The funny thing is, while I share my outlook on the quote, the quote will likely be interpreted in any number of ways, as is described in the quote (in my opinion).  Weird. 

No comments: